Southern artist, Cynthia Massey Parsons, has been termed a multi-faceted creative talent. In addition to dramatic formal oil & pastel portraiture, her work includes abstracts with mirrored glass and the exploration of flamboyant floral and landscape themes. The summer of 1996 brought worldwide distribution of her art when her high energy design became an official poster for the Olympic Soccer Games. Her action soccer paintings inspired by the Summer Games became a published collection in Impressions – Men’s Summer Soccer ’96. Collegiate football’s Iron Bowl and University of Alabama Coach Gene Stallings were the subjects of Parsons’ widely collected poster: Pride Runs Deep.
Paul II. She also painted His Eminence John Cardinal O’Connor and the first Archbishop of New York: “Dagger John” Hughes, for the Archdiocese of New York.
Parsons holds a BA in Art from Florida State University in Tallahassee, Florida. Her work has been exhibited in solo shows, juried museum exhibitions, and is represented in selected galleries of note. Her courtroom sketches have appeared on both CBS and ABC affiliated stations. She is published in Christmas with Southern Living 1982. Parsons is listed in Who’s Who in American Art in 1977, 2010, and 2011. Cynthia Parsons holds membership in the National League of American Pen Woman, Magna Charta Dames & Barons. Last but certainly not least, she also ranks as Black Belt in the martial art of Tang Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan. Ms. Parsons teaches & has taught art classes at the Birmingham Museum of Art, The Birmingham Botanical Garden, Burritt Museum on the Mountain in Huntsville, Hobby Lobby in Jones Valley in Huntsville, Alabama Art Supply in Birmingham, & the Art Academy in Ardmore.
Education: Graduate of Art Department, BA, Florida State University, Tallahassee, Florida
Teacher & Lecturer:
- Birmingham Museum of Art
- Alabama Art Supply in Birmingham
- Birmingham Botanical Gardens
- Burritt Museum on the Mountain in Huntsville
- Hobby Lobby in Huntsville
- Madison County Botanical Gardens
- Monaco Pictures in Huntsville
- Fast Frame in Huntsville
- Wonders of Alabama Art, Energen Corp., Birmingham, Alabama 2005-2012
- Circle of Artists of C M Parsons; Christopher House Antiques & Gallery in Birmingham, AL, Oct. 2011
- Art in Bloom, Huntsville Museum of Art, April 3-4, 2009
- U. S. Space & Rocket Center Saturn V & Space Camp Reunion, July 18-19, 2008
- U. S. White House Christmas Tree Ornament, State of Alabama, 2001
- Official 1996 Olympic Soccer Poster
- Pride Runs Deep – University of Alabama Coach Gene Stallings
- Stars Fall on Alabama, AL Bureau of Tourism & Travel
- Love Letters of Leonardo da Vinci
- Book of Action Paintings: Impressions – Men’s Summer Soccer ’96
- Coloring Book: Fire Fighters, American Heroes – Fire Safety & Prevention (pub. 2001)
- Christmas with Southern Living 1982, p. 63.
- Pope John Paul II
- John Cardinal O’Connor
- Senator Howell Heflin
- First Lady Hilary Clinton & daughter Chelsea
- Coach Gene Stallings & son John Mark
- General Howell H. Howze
- General William Bunker
- Grandmaster Yong Ju Lee
- Watercolor Society Alabama
- Delta Delta Delta
- Junior League of Huntsville
- Symphony Guild, Huntsville
- Huntsville Art League
- Women’s Guild Huntsville Museum of Art
- Magna Charta Dames & Barons
- Legion of Honor, Chapel of the Four Chaplains, Philadelphia, PA
- Special Consultant of United Nations’ NGO International Association
- Educators for World Peace
- 2000 Arts Alive Award at the Children’s Hands-On Museum in Tuscaloosa, Alabama
- Who’s Who in American Art 1977, 2010, and 2011
- Nat’l League of American Pen Women
- Black Belt in Tang Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan
Some of her notable achievements include the following:
- She received the 2000 Arts Alive Award for excellence & support of Alabama Arts by the Children’s Hands-On Museum in Tuscaloosa, Alabama.
- In 2001 Mrs. Parsons attended the White House Christmas Reception honoring artists whose respective state governor had appointed them to design and create a Christmas ornament for the Official United States White House Christmas Tree.
- In 2002, she was bestowed upon membership in the Legion of Honor, Chapel of the Four Chaplains in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in recognition of selfless contributions to charitable causes.
- In February 2003, Mrs. Parsons was confirmed as a Special Consultant of the United Nations’ NGO: The International Association of Educators for World Peace.